As you may be aware, the AFL have created a new coach accreditation scheme through the CoachAFL membership. The AFL has recently contacted all coaches on the national coaching database via email regarding the changes.
The key changes include:
- Level 1 coaching courses have been replaced with a new minimum accreditation course called the “Foundation Coaching Course”. This is a 60-90minute online course built in to the annual membership. The course can be accessed during the CoachAFL Membership registration process.
- As of 2018, all coaches of all grades must obtain a minimum level accreditation (now Foundation, formally Level 1) prior to the start of the 2018 season. Please see below the amended SA Community Football Coach Accreditation Regulation for 2018.
- Annual CoachAFL Membership
- Greater support and resources available to coaches than ever before – drills & skills, videos, articles, workshops etc
- 4 year Coach Accreditations are now replaced by annual CoachAFL memberships
Action for all clubs:
- Ensure all coaches of all grades have joined the CoachAFL membership prior to the start of the 2018 season. Membership = Accreditation, any coach who is not a CoachAFL Member is not an accredited coach.
- Ensure all coaches are registered to their team on SportsTG
Regulation 29 – Coach Accreditation
All coaches of Affiliated League Clubs are required to obtain Foundation Coaching Membership prior to coaching at any level.
If a coach continues to coach without having obtained the necessary accreditation, a team which is coached by the unaccredited coach will lose all match points for matches won by the team whilst the unaccredited coach continues to coach. In the event of no match points being received by that team, the Affiliated League in which the team plays may impose an appropriate penalty.
Who can I contact to find out more information?
The best way to have any of your questions answered in regard to CoachAFL is to use the ‘Get in Touch’ form located at the bottom of the Contact page. Once you complete the form, our Coaching Support Team will be in contact with you to ensure you are properly supported and get the help you need!
Do I need to be accredited if I am involved in Auskick?
All relevant information, content and resources for Auskick coaches is available at play.afl/auskick. It’s not a mandatory requirement for NAB AFL Auskick coaches to hold an AFL coaching accreditation or membership of coachAFL, however for Auskick coaches who wish to become members of CoachAFL, the most relevant membership and accreditation is Foundation Junior.
Do I need to be accredited if I am an assistant coach or I just help out from time to time?
CoachAFL requires anyone involved on match day should become an accredited member of CoachAFL. By completing one of our online Foundation courses you will have the knowledge and ability to have a greater influence on match day, and you will also be ready to coach in case you need to at any time!
Will my accreditation be nationally recognised?
Yes! CoachAFL accreditation is the National Accreditation standard and has been developed in conjunction with all state and territory affiliates.
Does my Foundation Coach accreditation allow me to coach any age group?
Your accreditation is based upon the age group you coach. If you end up coaching a different age group your accreditation will not be valid and you will be required to complete the relevant online Foundation Course for the playing group once you have become a member.
How can I access my accreditation certificate?
You can access your current accreditation certificate through your personalised profile page in the members area on the CoachAFL. This can be found under the heading My Learning and by clicking on the link Record of Learning. From there, find and click on the relevant coaching accreditation and click on the Feedback and Certificate link to access a PDF of your accreditation. This PDF is downloadable to mobile and can be printed off at your convenience. If you are unsure, you can always ‘Get In Touch’ with our Coaching Support Team.